The NSW Government has today announced the Planning System Acceleration Program to keep the industry moving throughout the COVID-19 crisis.
In summary, the Planning System Acceleration Program will:
- Create opportunities for more than 30,000 construction jobs in the next six
- Fast-track assessments of State Significant Developments, rezonings and
development applications (DAs), with more decisions to be made by the
Minister if required;
- Support councils and planning panels to fast-track local and regionally significant development applications;
- Expedite the COVID-19 planning response by expanding the list of works that
can be carried out without the need for planning approval, or under the fast tracked complying development pathway;
- Introduce a ‘one stop shop’ for industry to progress projects that may be ‘stuck
in the system’;
- Clear the current backlog of cases stuck in the Land & Environment Court with
additional Acting Commissioners; and
- Invest $70 million to co-fund vital new community infrastructure in North West Sydney including roads, drainage and public parks to unlock plans for the
construction of thousands of new houses.
Further details in relation to the Planning System Acceleration Program are expected in the coming weeks.